SharePoint Feature Receiver Error ‘The EXECUTE permission was denied…’

15 03 2010

I got this error this morning when trying to activate a web feature in a site collection. It turns out that this is because the application pool running the web application (in my case ‘Network Service’) does not have the required permissions to run some SharePoint SQL stored procedures within the configuration database.

In order to fix this error you will need to give the application pool database role WSS_Content_Application_Pools ‘Execute’ rights on the following stored procedures:

  1. proc_PutObject
  2. proc_putClass
  3. proc_dropObject
  4. proc_getNewObjects

Once you have granted this role the correct permissions you will be able to activate the feature/perform the operation you were attempting before.

Hope this helps!

Advertisements




SharePoint 2010 & FIMSyncronizationService Problems

19 11 2009

**Updated 23/11/2009

Jeremy Thake (@jthake) advised me that this service is required for the ‘User Profiles Synchronization Service’ in SP2010 and that if you disable it then this won’t work. Decide whether you are going to need this feature before you disable this. I am not sure why it slows down the OS so much when booting up.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I recently installed the betas of SharePoint Foundation 2010  on top of Windows 7 and full SharePoint Server 2010 on to Server 2008 R2. One problem I found is that after you have rebooted the machine a couple of times it becomes very slow to startup.

At first I thought it was just because I was running SP2010 on a machine with only 4gb of ram and that was just the nature of the beast. When I opened Task Manager though it told a different story – the service ‘FIMSyncronizationService (Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service)’ was still trying to start and slowing the whole machine down. Once this service was stopped the machine continued booting into windows.

The service never seemed to start properly and I am assuming this is only needed if you want to use the full Forefront product with SharePoint.

I have now disabled this service using ‘Services.msc’ and SharePoint 2010 is still working fine. I would recommend anyone with the same issue who is not using Forefront to stop and disable this service from loading.

Hope this helps 🙂